The Macquarie Dictionary Defines Communication: Therapeutic Relationships Coursework, UQ, Australia
|University||University Of Queensland (UQ)|
A Definition of Communication
The Macquarie Dictionary defines communication as “the imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions or information by speech, writing, or signs”. Between its ancient Latin and Greek origins and now, the term “communication” had changed to mean the transfer of something. The definition “interchange or exchange” indicates reciprocity between those communicating.
We get a hint of the kinds of reciprocity involved from the dictionary: speech, writing, and signs. These are known as “codes.” Speech and writing are obvious codes. Signs include not only visual images but also other nonverbal codes. Body language – including subtle cues of stance, gesture, and expression – is a communication code that can completely alter the overt meaning of our words.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Australian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
At its most extreme, the “interchange or exchange” meaning within communication has been interpreted as the need for a wordless meeting of minds, a communion of inner experience. This places an impossible burden on us as communicators, for we can never know another person perfectly. Instead, we must:
- Work with our incomplete knowledge;
- Use words despite their potential for being misunderstood in different ways;
- Interpret signs using filters based on our own values and experience; and
- Anticipate the filters used by others.
This aspect of communication points to another dimension of meaning within the concept: that of relationship.
The Basic Theory of Communication
In its essence, the basic theory of communication is about messages being sent and received. This theory advocates that certain elements must be present in the
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Interpret the diagram above as follows:
- The sender sends a message in any medium to the receiver.
- The receiver receives the message, and, by sending feedback, lets the sender know whether the message was interpreted correctly.
A very simple example is a case of a young man telling his girlfriend she looks attractive. She smiles. In this example, the sender is the young man, the message is that she looks attractive, the medium is verbal, the receiver is the girlfriend, and the feedback is the girl’s smile which tells the young man that his message was interpreted correctly.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
University of Queensland assignment writers provides impeccable help with Professional Transition coursework to students in Australia. We have some assignment experts written tips for students to prepare a perfect transition assignment paper without taking anyone's help. Just follow us and get free tips and reliable coursework help.
Recent Solved Questions
- LAW10021: Explain The Difference Between Enactment And Commencement As Part Of The Legislative Process: Introduction Of Law, USA, Australia
- Define The Term Motivation Is Motivation Individual Or Shared: Self Esteem Assignment, QU, Australia
- MKT525: Analyze the Current Market Situation for Your Organizations Using the PESTLE and SWOT frameworks: Digital and Social Media Marketing Assignment, CSU, Australia
- CHC30113: Subject 5 Physical and Emotional Wellbeing Geri is an experienced family daycare educator Starting next Monday: Certificate III in Early Childhood Education & Care Assignment, Tafe Nsw, Australia
- Compare Singapore and Australia in Terms of Hofstede’s Cultural Dimensions: Organisation Development and Change Assignment, RMIT, Australia
- SITXINV002: You Will Be Observed By Your Assessor When Conducting Temperature And Quality: Maintain The Quality Of Perishable Items Assignment, VU, Australia
- 11464: Briefly Explain The Differences Between Augmented Reality (AR) Augmented Virtual (AV) And Virtual Reality (VR): AR/VR Data Analysis And Communication Assignment, DU, Australia
- Describe How Cigarette Smoke Influences The Type And Number Of Mutations Present: Cellular Biology Assignment, DU, Australia
- As A Support Worker Identify Three People/Positions/Roles That May Be Considered: Communication Homework, UOA, Australia
- HSP 201: Define And Integrate The Classifications Terminology And General Pathological Principles: Human Systems & Pathophysiology Coursework, VU, Australia