BX3112 SP 22 Taxation Law – University of Australia
Alice had the following transactions during 2016/17:
1. August 2016 – Alice sold her car for $26,000. She had paid $35,000 for it in June 2015.
2. February 2017 – Alice gifted her son some shares in Optus. She had bought them in December 1995 for $75,000 and, when she gave them away, their market value was $50,000.
3. March 2017 – Alice sold some Qantas shares for $100,000. She had acquired them in June 2015 for $60,000.
4. June 2017 – Alice was dismissed from her job and agreed to sign a restrictive covenant that she would not compete with her ex-employer for 3 years for which she received $50,000.
Calculate Alice’s net capital gain/capital loss in tax year 2016/17. Give reasons to support your work.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Australian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Anne and Brian established a florist in partnership on 1 July 2016. In the 2016/17 year, gross receipts amounted to $250,000 and outgoings included the following:
Business costs $100,000
Salary paid to Anne under the agreement $40,000
Interest on a capital contribution by Anne (as agreed) $10,000
Interest on commercial loan by Brian to the partnership $20,000
The partnership agreement provides that the partners are to share the residue of profits after expenses (including all those set out above) equally.
Calculate the net income of the partnership for tax year 2016/17 and each partner’s share of the net income of the partnership and their assessable income (you may assume that they have no income other than what they receive through the partnership).
The Luke Family Trust is a discretionary trust pursuant to which the family’s solicitor settled $1 on Neal Pty Ltd as trustee for the trust. Mr Luke then gifted a number of properties located both in Australia and the Cayman Islands to the trust.
For the last tax year the trust has derived net income of $50,000 in rental profits, $25,000 of which was sourced from the overseas properties (and not taxed there as there is no income tax in the Cayman Islands).
The trustee determines to allocate the net income of $50,000 as follows:
- $10,000 to Mr Luke who is a resident of Australia (and who has no other
- $25,000 to his wife Pauline who resides in the Cayman Islands; and
- $416 to their 15-year-old daughter Jane; and
- $5,000 applied to pay for their 18-year-old insane son’s (Frank) medical
expenses (Frank also receives $20,000 pa from another trust).
The trustee retains the balance for reinvestment.
Who is assessable on the income of the trust estate? Indicate, where relevant, any entitlement to credits.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Bruce received a $100,000 bona fide redundancy payment in 2017/18 after 10 years and 11 months service with the same employer. How will the payment be taxed?
Get Help By Expert
The assignment helpers Australia at AustraliaAssignmentHelp.com work hard and make all the students' requirements fulfilled. They are proficient experts in every academic sphere. Get excellent taxation law assignment help services from our professional helpers in Australia.
Recent Solved Questions
- AYB230: Activist CEO’s are Acting Outside the Scope of Their Fiduciary Duties: Corporations Law Assignment, QUT, Australia
- HI6006: Write an Essay Explaining What the Main Strategy Development Tools are: Key Strategy Development Tools Essay, HI, Australia
- MMM241: Develop a Business Plan for a Business of Your Choice that You would like to Start in the Future: Entrepreneurship and Innovation Assignment, DU, Australia
- At Its Meeting Today, the Board Decided to Lower the Cash Rate by 25 basis: Global Economy Assignment, OU, Australia
- Question: Report on Service Quality Restaurants in Canberra
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry Assessment Answer
- IRHR2010 Introduction to Industrial Relations – PBL 1: Advising the Always Healthy Club
- BSBITU212: When is It Necessary to use a Spreadsheet rather than a Word Processing Application: Create and Use Spreadsheets Assignment, DU, Australia
- AMSM700: Demonstrate The Linkage between the Organization’s Strategy and Its Vision: Strategic Management Assignment, ARA, New Zealand
- BUSM3199: You are an Ethics and Governance Officer Working for a Listed Corporation CorpCo: Ethics and Governance Assignment, RMIT, Singapore