ANSTO Scientists Analyze the Composition of Gases Trapped Inside Deep Antarctic Ice: Physics Assignment, BHS, Australia
1. ANSTO scientists analyze the composition of gases trapped inside deep Antarctic ice to determine historical changes in our climate and atmosphere. Carbon-14, beryllium-10, and chlorine-36 are used routinely to determine the age of these ice core samples.
|Carbon-14 half-life: 5730 years|
Beryllium-10 half-life: 1,390,000 years
Chlorine-36 half-life: 301,000 years
Nt = N0e–λt
λ = ln(2)/t1/2
where Nt = number of particles at time t,
N0 = number of particles present at t = 0,
λ = decay constant,
t1/2 = time for half the radioactive amount to decay.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Australian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Use the data and equations above to:
- Calculate the decay constant for each isotope
- Plot the decay curve for ONE isotope
- Estimate the proportion of each isotope remaining in a sample of Antarctic ice 45,000 years old
2. Explain the requirements needed to achieve a sustained and controlled nuclear fission reaction in a fission reactor.
3. Provide a detailed experimental write up of the discovery of two particles predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics.
4. Chadwick discovered the neutron in 1932 when he bombarded beryllium with alpha particles from polonium.
- Explain using a diagram of how neutrons are generated in a controlled fission reaction inside a nuclear reactor.
- Explain how the properties of neutrons allow them to be used as a probe to investigate the matter.
- X-rays and neutrons are both utilized for diffraction experiments to investigate materials. Use our current understanding of atomic theory to explain why x-rays and neutrons produce different but complementary diffraction data about a material.
- Neutrons are a particularly penetrative form of radiation. Give examples of safety measures used by nuclear researchers working with neutrons.
5. From 1908 to 1913, Geiger and Marsden’s gold foil experiments led to the discovery of positively charged particles in the nucleus of the atom, later termed “protons” by Rutherford.
- Explain, using labeled diagrams, how a cyclotron is used to accelerate protons at a target. Include the origin of the protons in your answer.
- Using balanced decay equations, give an example of a proton-rich, cyclotron-produced medical radioisotope and describe its use in patients.
- The first proton therapy unit in Australia is due to open in Adelaide in 2020. Describe how this process is currently used in other countries to treat cancerous tumors.
6. A particularly favorable fusion reaction for use in fusion reactors involves the fusion of deuterium (2H or D) and tritium (3H or T), producing a Helium nucleus (4He) and a neutron (n).
- Write a nuclear equation for this reaction.
- Explain one way in which this reaction could be carried out in a reactor.
- Discuss the potential use of this reactor for the production of electricity.
7. Cyclotrons are used at ANSTO to produce nuclear medicines for diagnostic scans.
- Construct a table to compare a linear particle accelerator and a cyclotron, showing their similarities and differences
- Create an annotated diagram of a cyclotron to explain its operation and how it can be used in the production of fluorine-18
- Explain why very high energy cyclotrons are not possible
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
8. ANSTO stores intermediate-level waste from reprocessed spent reactor fuel and by-products of radiopharmaceutical production. This waste is often long-lived and requires secure and shielded storage. Create a table to compare and contrast the two main methods of storing intermediate level waste: immobilization in glass (vitrification) and Synroc.
Get Help By Expert
Our team of expert Aussie assignment writers is knowledgeable and experienced enough to provide you physics assignment help in any of the topics related to physics. We have more than 500 satisfied customers from Bonnyrigg High School (BHS) Australia who always take help with us.
Recent Solved Questions
- Go to the Website Desmos. Then, Click on the ‘Math Tools’ Dropdown: Linear and Non-linear Relations Assignment, SWSC, Australia
- BUSM3199: You are an Ethics and Governance Officer Working for a Listed Corporation CorpCo: Ethics and Governance Assignment, RMIT, Singapore
- MGT501: Business Stakeholder Analysis is a Technique for Identifying Stakeholders: Business Environment Assignment, TU, Australia
- Crosss Cultural Influences and Change- Assignment 2
- NURS1103: You have been Asked to Interview Your Patient to Learn About Their Health History: Clinical Reasoning Case Study, UoN, Australia
- Finance in the Sport and Recreation Industry
- Produce a Report on a Specific Case of Visual Processing Gone Wrong: Psychology-Perception Assignment, DU, Australia
- MBA631: You are Required to Select an Australian Small to Medium Size Business and Conduct a Digital Marketing Audit: Digital Marketing and Communication Assignment, KU, Australia
- HI6027: Barbara was a Regular Shopper at Egeeay Supermarket, Which was Part of a Large National Supermarket: Business and Corporate Law Assignment, HI, Australia
- NURS 3044: Vaccine Discussions in Pregnancy: Interviews with Midwives to Inform the Design: Research Methodology, UniSA, Australia