HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems case study answer
ASSESSMENT TASK 2: CASE STUDY
You are to read the case study and complete the questions.
WHAT DO I NEED IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS ASSESSMENT?
- Access to textbooks and other learning materials
- Access to a computer and the Internet (if you prefer to type your responses).
WHEN DO I DO THIS TASK?
- You will do this task in the classroom or as homework – your assessor will advise.
- Write in the due date as advised by your assessor: ___
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IF I GET SOMETHING WRONG?
If your assessor marks any of your answers as incorrect, they will talk to you about resubmission. You will need to do one of the following:
- Answer the questions that were incorrect in writing.
- Answer the questions that were incorrect verbally.
CASE STUDY: JEMIMA
Jemima comes to see you ask advice. Her mother has recently died of complications from type 2 diabetes. Jemima is now worried about her risk of becoming diabetic.
You ask for the history of the mother’s illness and find out the following:
- Her mother developed diabetes in her early 50s.
- She never managed to control her blood sugar levels.
- She was obese and lived a sedentary life.
- She developed heart disease in her 60s and died at 65.
- You then find out some information about Jemima:
- She is 35
- Her blood pressure is 125/84
- Her height is 1.63 m
- Her weight is 67kg
- She used to smoke but quit three years ago.
She tries to eat a healthy diet but often needs to eat takeaway (up to five times a week) as she is very busy She has trouble sleeping and sometimes only gets around six hours a night She rarely exercises.
- Explain the connection between diabetes and heart disease.
- Identify Jemima’s risk factors for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Looking at Jemima’s blood pressure, explain what you would recommend to her for healthy body functioning.
- Looking at Jemima’s height and weight, explain what you would tell her and recommend to her regarding healthy body function.
(Use the BMI calculator at http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcsite.nsf/pages/bmi)
- List three ‘tips’ you would give to Jemima to improve her eating of healthy foods on busy days.
- Based on the information above and the recommendations you have provided, now locate some information from reputable sources that you could provide to Jemima to help her maintain healthy body functioning. The information should address:
- Information about diabetes
- Maintaining good blood pressure
- Exercise (passive and active)
- Healthy eating Sleep.
Try to find at least two pieces of good, current information about each topic (preferably different to those you located for Ray in Assessment Task 1).
Attach any hard copy documents to this assessment. If you have used websites, print out the pages or provide the weblinks so your assessor can check them.